Thursday, September 13, 2012

First Blog Post

Been living in Monaco since December, 2011 and here's what I've learned so far:

1. American friends who say they will keep in touch are liars.
2. French work ethic is different than the American work ethic.
3. I love to travel, it's what keeps me going.
4. I hate my current job.
5. I have an incredible relationship with my husband that can basically withstand anything.

Let me expand on these:

1. American friends who say they will keep in touch are liars.
With the invention of skype and facetime, keeping in touch with people abroad is BEYOND simple.  In fact, I speak more to my parents now that I live impossibly far than I did when I lived 1.5 hours away from them. That being said, of all my say 10 closest friends from Miami I have spoken / skyped with ZERO of them.  I even go out of my way to email friends asking to Skype and still nothing.  Lesson learned: I had shit friends to start with.
NOTE: I guaran-f*cking-tee what when it's comes time for one of their vacations and they are coming near the south of France one of them will FINALLY want to skype.  Guess what, I'll be busy...getting my tan in Italy. SO there bitches.....
Double NOTE: I like my new friends better anyways, SO there again bitches.....(read - yes, my feelings are hurt on a regular basis and I hide my feelings with mean comments)

2. French work ethic is different than the American work ethic.
Well DUH....didn't learn about "Laissez fair" in high school for nothing. This sh*t is still in full effect today.  The less work they have to do the better.  Even when you're constantly following up, they will still screw something up along the way.
NOTE:  I'm 100% sure there are many, many exceptions to this rule...BUTTTTT I have yet to meet or work with them.

3. I love to travel, it's what keeps me going.
Clearly I love to travel, or I wouldn't have been insane enough to move all the way to Monaco. But the more time I spend here, the more opportunities I have to travel within Europe.  At this rate (one trip per month)...I've already traveled nearly as much here as I have in the US. This summer we checked out:
-Italy
-Turkey
-France
-Switzerland
and by the end of this month will have checked off Germany as well.  Without a trip on the horizon I get pretty depressed. Which just means that I need to start checking airfares....and book our next trip.

4. I hate my current job.
Came here, pretty excited to work on taking this company from an events company to an ad agency.  AND ALL OF A SUDDEN my boss wants to change directions completely and now I'm stuck here, working on stuff I'm not passionate about and wasting a TON of time in the meantime.  UGH, I'm used to 12 hour days, pressure to succeed, quick and almost always last minute projects.  Who in the world ever thought I would miss that? Well, there I said it...I miss it.  Bring back the stressssssssss pretty please. And leave this new direction / no direction to the birds.

5. I have an incredible relationship with my husband that can basically withstand anything.
So it turns out moving abroad, not knowing the rules and having to figure out everything on your own will either make or break your relationship.  I mean, yea, there were times I thought I was going to claw his eyes out.  But now that we can see the light at the end of the paperwork, visa, carte de sejour tunnel....he is my GOD SEND!  I do not know what I would have done without him.

And there you have it: my first blog post.
I'm going to keep at this.  Telling you about my adventures in wonderland (aka Monaco)...some good, some bad and almost always ridiculously funny.  So enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment