Monday, July 22, 2013

Update on our Pregnancy

So lots has happened since my last blog entry, so I wanted to bring everyone up to speed!

As you recall from my last post the doctor was unable to find the baby, but we were hoping it was because it was too early.  He ordered a beta HCG test...meaning they would check the HCG (pregnancy hormone) level on Tuesday, and then have a look again on Friday because of the fact that healthy pregnancies HCG doubles every 48-72 hours.

Tuesday my HCG level was 179.9.  A very normal level, no cause for concern.

Friday my HCG level was 233.  NOT GOOD.  I had just picked up my results from the hospital, knowing they were bad I quickly called my husband to tell him the bad news. After that my phone rang immediately...it was the nurse from the doctors office.  She said that the HCG test wasn't good, and that the doc wanted to see me on Monday after another HCG test in the morning.

My world came crashing down.  This was the worst day of my life. To go from the excitement of the next 9 months, to knowing that my baby was in harm was one of the worst things I have ever experienced. Hubs and I had a serious conversation, trying to be positive and understand that there was a reason the baby wasn't going to make it (chromosome issue or maybe even developmental issue). Trying to keep the faith, knowing that God had a bigger plan for us.

Monday, I dutifully wake up & go get my 3rd HCG test. And at 2pm, I arrive at the doctors office.  After a painful 40 min wait, he calls us back.  Again reiterating that there is a problem, and that the third number is still very low (328).  Strange that the levels are rising, but alarming that the rate is so slow. He says that if it's in the uterus hopefully it will pass naturally.  We have a look via ultrasound, and once again he can not find anything. He has a hunch that the pregnancy is ectopic, meaning that the embryo implanted in the ovary or fallopian tube instead of the uterus. This is a potentially life threatening issue, because if the fallopian tube (or ovary) bursts it can also burst the nearby artery which would cause massive internal bleeding.

He gives us 2 options:
1.  To wait another week and have 2 more HCG tests, and then eventually have the laporoscopy surgery to remove the fetus.
2. Go ahead and have the laporoscopy surgery tomorrow.

I don't hesitate.  Why keep dragging this out?  Let's get the surgery tomorrow! He fills out the paperwork, and by this time tomorrow it will all be over with.  The good news is that while I'm under he will also do the HSG dye procedure to check my fallopian tubes for any blockages.  This procedure has been known to "unblock" tubes for some women.  I have my fingers crossed that this will be the magic procedure that will eliminate the threat of another ectopic pregnancy.

Say some prayers for us, and hopefully I will have a speedy recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment