Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Trying to Concieve - May Update

Just got back from the doctor regarding our trying to concieve efforts.

But first let me back up and give a bit of background.....I initially went to the gynecologist because I was having extremely painful menstruation. The first month it was horrible, I thought I was having a miscarriage it was so bad. And then when it happened the second time, I was concerned and made the doctors appointment.  Of course, I did a bit of my own research before going to the doctors and apparently Endometriosis causes horribly painful menstruation...so I was prepared for news that he suspected I had Endo.

At the doctors, first I explained the situation and he did a trans-vaginal ultra sound only to find that there were no mature follicles (and I was near the time of ovulation, so there should have been at least 3). There was NOTHING.  One teeny, tiny 7mm follicle on my right side and NOTHING on my left.  He also noted at this appointment that I have an inverted uterus. Which isn't life shattering, just another obstacle for the little swimmers.  He was clearly concerned about the follicle situation, but wanted to explore further and ordered a blood test for myself and a semen analysis for my husband.

Fast forward one month later, to our appointment today.  He reviewed the semen analysis:
80 million little swimmers
45% motility
52% morphology
and no infection...good news!

For me all my hormone levels looked ok according to the doctors.  However I did a bit of my own Google research and figured that my FSH level of 10.02 was a bit high for my age.  He didn't seem concerned at all.

He did another trans-vaginal ultrasound and again there were only small follicles, which should have been twice the size at this point in my cycle. So it seems that the issue is with my ovulation.  Our prescription is for me to start Clomid next cycle to help mature my follicles, as well as a dye test to check my fallopian tubes to be sure there are no blockages. So for now...we wait another month! He mentioned it was normal for women to have troubles with their follicle size, and that it's common to treat them with Clomid.  So it seems I'm in good company!

In the meantime, its great to have a game plan and to have more understanding of what's going on with us as a couple. It's frustrating to have to keep waiting, but hopefully it will just be another month of so until we conceive. So for now...I just have to look forward to our little holiday in Venice & Croatia.  That should keep me going until then!

 Here's a little video about conception, in case your interested.  It's definitely more complicated than you think :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment